Working with SRNL
Our Facilities - Health Physics Instrument Calibration Laboratory
Radiation detection and the creation of new technology is vital to the security of public and private interests in our country. From government facilities to sports venues to utilities, the need for technology detection is paramount. The Savannah River National Laboratory is unique in its availability of numerous NIST-traceable sources, specialized nuclear materials, calibration equipment, location, and knowledgeable staff. SRNL is able to assist in the development and testing of that instrument. The Health Physics Instrument Calibration Laboratory at SRNL is the first Department of Energy laboratory to be accredited by the National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program as a Calibration Laboratory for Ionizing Radiation (NVLAP LAB CODE 200747-0). SRNL combines expertise and innovation for the testing and calibration of new technologies.
At the Savannah River National Laboratory (SRNL), the Savannah River Site Calibration Laboratory is one of the most advanced radiation calibration laboratory and test facilities in the country. SRNL provides instrument test and evaluation services, exercises, calibration and repair, calibration services for tritium monitoring equipment, and radiological instrument qualification and testing. This unique service is available to government agencies, the US Military and commercial organizations.
The SRS Calibration Laboratory
- Federally approved for radiation protection and instrument calibration
- Physical and information security are integral parts of operations
- Comprehensive capabilities for instrumentation performance testing, calibration, and maintenance
- First Department of Energy laboratory to be accredited by the National Voluntary Laboratory Accreditation Program (NVLAP) as a Calibration Laboratory for Ionizing Radiation (NVLAP LAB CODE 200747-0)
- Weapons-grade plutonium, reactor-grade plutonium, and enriched uranium source work capabilities.
The Calibration Laboratory staff is highly-trained, knowledgeable, and has an exemplary safety record. They have participated in such projects as Intelligent Personal Radiation Locator (IPRL) advanced technology demonstrations, the Graduated Rad/Nuc Detector Evaluation and Reporting (GRaDER) program, and the Intelligent Radiation Sensing System (IRSS) testing.
The Calibration Facility has broad capabilities in alpha, beta, gamma, x-ray, neutron, and tritium calibration. Exposure rates range from µR to greater than 10,000 R/hr. Available equipment includes ten irradiator calibration systems in shielded rooms consisting of: