Working with SRNL
Our Facilities - Aiken County Technology Laboratory (ACTL)
The Aiken County Technology Laboratory (ACTL) was established at Aiken County’s Savannah River Research Campus to provide modern laboratory facilities for SRNL’s unclassified research and development in the fields of waste management, environmental sciences, and biotechnology. The County-owned Research Campus, located adjacent to the Savannah River National Laboratory’s main campus, provides a setting that facilitates collaboration with universities and other institutions.
ACTL occupies over 20,000 square feet of laboratory space, including state-of-the-art vitrification furnaces used to support operation of the Savannah River Site’s Defense Waste Processing Facility, bioanalytical support facilities, anaerobic facilities, and 2,000 square feet of high bay space that allows for pilot-scale facilities. The Laboratory also includes conference room amenities.
Researchers from SRNL’s Environmental & Chemical Process Technology and Environmental Science & Biotechnology directorates work at ACTL, conducting research and development in the areas of:
- Next Generation Waste Pretreatment
- Advanced Filtration Methods
- Stabilization Technologies
- Glass Technology
- Novel environmental remediation technologies
- Petroleum Hydrocarbon Bioremediation
- Microbial Immobilization of Metals/Radionuclides
- Biohazard Assessment and Mitigation
- Environmental Bioforensics